Skip to main content

The Bar Exam

There is less than a month now until the bar exam. Considering I have fielded several requests for an explanation of what the bar exam actually is, I thought that I would explain it here.

The bar exam consists of two full days (unless you are applying for multiple jurisdictions). One day is entirely state specific law and the second day is devoted to multistate topics. The bar exam as I am taking it in New York will break down as follows:

Day One (NY Day)

AM Session

3 New York Essay Questions

50 New York Multiple Choice Questions


PM Session

2 New York Essay Questions

1 90minute Multistate Performance Test



Day Two (Multistate Day)


AM Session

100 Multistate Multiple Choice Questions



PM Session

100 Multistate Multiple Choice Questions

For the New York day must must know Agency, Commercial Paper, Conflict of Laws, Corporations, Domestic Relations, Equity, Federal Jurisdiction, Future Interests, No Fault Insurance, Mortgages, New York Practice, Professional Responsibility, Partnership, Personal Property, Secured Transactions, Trusts, Wills, Workers' Compensation, and New York distinctions for all Multistate subjects (below).

For the Multistate day I must know Constitutional Law, Contracts and Sales, Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Evidence, Real Property, and Torts.

The Multistate Performance Test (MPT) on the first day is sort of like an essay. However, instead of my regurgitating memorized data, the MPT gives me a case file similar to a real life client file. The case file is a closed universe where I do not actually have to know any outside law (yay!). It includes a task memo, client documents, statutes and fake cases from the fake jurisdiction. It seems like it would be a simple task, but 90 minutes goes by in a heart beat when you have to read a big file and answer a multi-part question.

Luckily I took most of the subjects in law school, which helps enormously. However, I still have to take a bar review course. I chose BarBri simply because that is what 80% of law students use. A friend of mine in law school convinced me to use BarBri by pointing out that "if they teach it to you at BarBri and it is wrong, then everyone will be wrong!" That was logical enough for me to sign up.

I have been in this course since the Wednesday after my graduation. Every day I sit through taped lectures, perform practice tests and condense my notes for memorization later on. It all ends next Wednesday. From that point on I will be pulling my hair out trying to memorize all of this information on my own.

It has been rather useful. Last Sunday, along with thousands of other BarBri students, I travelled over to the Jacob Javits Center on the west side to take a full day practice Multistate Test. We all sat in a large, bleak cement room, in close proximity with one another and took a six hour practice test. I cannot express adequately in words the enormity of the room or the odd feeling of sitting, breathing and shuffling with thousands of other uncomfortable students. One girl near me honestly believed the room was a parking lot.

The test itself was easier than I thought it would be and it was nice to be able to get some perspective of what the real test is going to be like. I also won a $15 iTunes gift card while I was there, so it was a win-win situation!

Have I bored you yet? I am sure you will hear more from me about this as it nears the end of the month. The bar exam will be July 29 and 30.

Comments

Nicole said…
I'm glad you posted this because I've been wondering, too. That's an incredible amount of information to have to be intimately familiar with. I'm impressed, but naturally not surprised, that you handled the fake test so well. Go Alicia! I'm sure you're more than ready to have the whole damn mess over with.

In other news, I love the story about the girl with a bat in her bra. Only at the Holiday Inn front desk...

Popular posts from this blog

Spareribs, Sauerkraut and Dumplings

For Valentine's Day this year I cooked a dish that reminds me of home like no other.  It's a family recipe that my Mom knows by heart and my Dad gets on special holidays. Spareribs, sauerkraut and dumplings: Here's my plate before I started inhaling it.     Not everyone likes it.  I didn't like it until I was an adult and came across a very similar dish in the Czech Republic.  I craved home-cooked food at the time and I instantly became obsessed with the dish. The tricky part about the recipe is that it wasn't really written down.  My Grandmother, Anita, wrote a copy for my Mom a long time ago but my Mom has since changed parts to simplify the recipe.  This is the recipe that my Mom told me and I adjusted on my own. For the Dumplings: These are the dumpling when they were boiling, as they start to get done, they float to the top of the water. 3 c bread crumbs (about a half of a loaf dried on a tray for a day and broken up in a food processor) 3-4 c grated r

May 2017 Update

Despite the appearance of my blog over the past year, I am still alive and kicking. I've had a great past year. It was filled with adventures and good times. What have I been up to? 1. I'm walking a ton. At a minimum, I try to walk 10,000 steps a day. When you work a desk job, that is a lot of steps. If I work from home, don't go anywhere, and don't make an effort, I can walk around 2,000 steps in a day. To hit 10,000, I have to make a serious effort. This leads to long rambles to Minnehaha Falls, the Mississippi River, Fort Snelling and circles around the Mall of America. I try to snap cool videos and photos while I walk. I took a short video of Minnehaha Falls this spring: I also snap pictures of the wildlife I manage to stumble across, like this adorable duck family: 2. I've traveled a bit. I went with friends to Massachusetts and Maine a month or so ago. Best selfie from the trip: Brian and I also took a trip to Hawaii in November. I

Halloween Project 2009: Zombie Box

I love zombie movies. My first date with Brian, I made the poor guy watch Dawn of the Dead and Shaun of the Dead . A while back I saw a photo of a glass case that held a fake shotgun that said "in case of zombies break glass" (click here for my original inspiration). Of course, I wanted one. However, they were a promotional item for a videogame. Plus, the shotguns were fake, not at all useful if zombies actually were going to attack. I tried to see if I could buy one of those fire cases that hold fire extinguishers and fire blankets and just adapt it. Those boxes, it turns out, cost at least a hundred dollars. I decided to take matters into my own hands and build myself an emergency box to prepare for the zombie apocalypse. I bought a frame for a few bucks from a discount store and hand painted the glass: The objects surrounding the glass were part of my "cat deterrence system." Oddly it worked. Livia prefers to sit on my paper projects anyways. I built a