Skip to main content

Hainanese Chicken

Back in early march I read the Kitchn review of Mark Bittman's Hainanese Chicken and I had to make it.  It looked so darned good.  I mean look at it:


Just look at it.  I made that and it was as delicious as it looks.  I guess I'm proud of myself because I had to poach a chicken to make it.  I had never poached a chicken before.  I can barely poach an egg.  Plus, the method seemed a bit sketchy to me.

My mom taught me to have a good, healthy fear of food born illnesses.  I grew up in a house where we cook our food until it is good and dead.  This recipe calls for you to only boil the chicken for ten minutes, turn off the heat and just let it sit there for an hour.  Just sit there.  This seemed like crazy talk.  But I trusted The Kitchn and the New York Times to not steer me wrong and by golly if it wasn't delicious.  The chicken was nice and juicy, perfectly cooked and it was extremely easy.  What is easier than boiling water?

Here's the chicken when it came out of the pot:


The skin doesn't look great but Brian ate it anyways.  He is strange like that.

Here's a shot of Brian's hands while he pulled the chicken:


He's helpful in the kitchen when you give him tasks where he can steal bites.

Here's my veggies getting ready for the rice:


The finished product again:


Here's the recipe (from here):

Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 whole (3- to 4-pound) chicken, trimmed of excess fat
Several cloves smashed garlic, plus 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Several slices fresh ginger, plus 1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 cup peanut oil, or neutral oil, like corn or canola
3 shallots, roughly chopped, or a small onion
2 cups long-grain rice
1/2 cup minced scallions
2 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons sesame oil.

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it. Add chicken to pot along with smashed garlic and sliced ginger. Bird should be completely submerged, but only just. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and let bird remain in water for 45 minutes to an hour, covered, or until it is cooked through.
2. Remove chicken from pot, reserve stock, and let bird cool to room temperature. Put half the peanut oil in a skillet over medium heat; you may add trimmed chicken fat to this also. When oil is hot, add remaining garlic, along with shallots; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, until glossy. Add 4 cups reserved chicken stock and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover; cook for about 20 minutes, until rice has absorbed all liquid. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
3. Make a dipping sauce of remaining oil, ginger, half the scallions and a large pinch of salt.
4. Shred or chop chicken, discarding skin. Put rice on a large platter and mound chicken on top of it; decorate platter with cucumbers, tomatoes, remaining scallions and cilantro. Sprinkle sesame oil over all and serve with dipping sauce.
Yield: 4 to 8 servings.
Like The Kitchn suggested, I skipped the sauce part of the recipe and just put soy sauce and sesame oil on it.  This was a great recipe.  I highly recommend it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spareribs, Sauerkraut and Dumplings

For Valentine's Day this year I cooked a dish that reminds me of home like no other.  It's a family recipe that my Mom knows by heart and my Dad gets on special holidays. Spareribs, sauerkraut and dumplings: Here's my plate before I started inhaling it.     Not everyone likes it.  I didn't like it until I was an adult and came across a very similar dish in the Czech Republic.  I craved home-cooked food at the time and I instantly became obsessed with the dish. The tricky part about the recipe is that it wasn't really written down.  My Grandmother, Anita, wrote a copy for my Mom a long time ago but my Mom has since changed parts to simplify the recipe.  This is the recipe that my Mom told me and I adjusted on my own. For the Dumplings: These are the dumpling when they were boiling, as they start to get done, they float to the top of the water. 3 c bread crumbs (about a half of a loaf dried on a tray for a day and broken up in a food processor) 3-4 c grated r

May 2017 Update

Despite the appearance of my blog over the past year, I am still alive and kicking. I've had a great past year. It was filled with adventures and good times. What have I been up to? 1. I'm walking a ton. At a minimum, I try to walk 10,000 steps a day. When you work a desk job, that is a lot of steps. If I work from home, don't go anywhere, and don't make an effort, I can walk around 2,000 steps in a day. To hit 10,000, I have to make a serious effort. This leads to long rambles to Minnehaha Falls, the Mississippi River, Fort Snelling and circles around the Mall of America. I try to snap cool videos and photos while I walk. I took a short video of Minnehaha Falls this spring: I also snap pictures of the wildlife I manage to stumble across, like this adorable duck family: 2. I've traveled a bit. I went with friends to Massachusetts and Maine a month or so ago. Best selfie from the trip: Brian and I also took a trip to Hawaii in November. I

Halloween Project 2009: Zombie Box

I love zombie movies. My first date with Brian, I made the poor guy watch Dawn of the Dead and Shaun of the Dead . A while back I saw a photo of a glass case that held a fake shotgun that said "in case of zombies break glass" (click here for my original inspiration). Of course, I wanted one. However, they were a promotional item for a videogame. Plus, the shotguns were fake, not at all useful if zombies actually were going to attack. I tried to see if I could buy one of those fire cases that hold fire extinguishers and fire blankets and just adapt it. Those boxes, it turns out, cost at least a hundred dollars. I decided to take matters into my own hands and build myself an emergency box to prepare for the zombie apocalypse. I bought a frame for a few bucks from a discount store and hand painted the glass: The objects surrounding the glass were part of my "cat deterrence system." Oddly it worked. Livia prefers to sit on my paper projects anyways. I built a